Join Us at the “I’ll Be There” Awards with DC Jobs with Justice
KI is a proud supporter of DC Jobs With Justice and its work supporting DC workers and working families. In about three weeks, DC Jobs with Justice will hold its annual I’ll Be There Awards, honoring movement leaders.
In these turbulent times, this year’s awardees are especially notable for their work to expand democracy and help workers and families affected by COVID-19.
This year, the awards will be presented virtually, and there’s no cost to attend. But since I’ll Be There is also DC JWJ’s largest fundraiser, we kindly ask you to take a moment to support DC JWJ and its work.
If you’d like to attend, the I’ll Be There Awards will be held on Wednesday, November 18, 2020. Please RSVP to honor this year’s awardees:
- Excluded Workers Direct Action leaders led a dozen home visits to Councilmembers offices throughout the DC budget process, winning and protecting $9 million in cash assistance and enshrining an expansive definition of excluded worker in DC law.
- Makia Green is a leader with Black Lives Matter DC and is instrumental in the campaign to Defund MPD.
- Restore the Vote won voting rights for felons currently serving sentences. DC follows only two other states in allowing these residents to vote.
- Tamika Spellman works with HIPS and No Justice No Pride to lead campaigns including Decrim Sex Work, Reclaim Rent Control and with excluded workers.
- UFCW 400 Giant and Safeway workers fought a hard-won campaign against Giant and Safeway protecting wages and benefits in the months just before the pandemic hit. Since then, their members have tirelessly served the community in our local grocery stores as essential workers.
We look forward to seeing you on November 18!