KI Practitioner Fellow Edgar Aranda-Yanoc Reelected as Chair of Virginia Coalition of Latino Organizations

Posted in Practitioner Fellows

VACOLAO

As a Practitioner Fellow at the Kalmanovitz Initiative in 2011, Edgar Aranda-Yanoc focused on alternative methods of enforcing wage theft judgments using grassroots and social media strategies. Four years later, Edgar is continuing his important work on behalf of migrant workers as the Organizing Coordinator and Project Director for the Legal Aid Justice Center‘s Immigrant Advocacy Program.

As the representative of LAJC, Edgar was recently reelected as chair of the Board of Directors of the Virginia Coalition of Latino Organizations. “I also am leading on issues important to the immigrant communities in Virginia including helping to educate and organize potential beneficiaries of President Obama’s recent Executive Orders expanding the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program and the new Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents program as well as the successful extension of Virginia in-state tuition for current DACA holders,” he explained.

“My time at the Kalmanovitz Initiative was enormously beneficial both personally and professionally. It offered me time and exposure to a wonderful academic environment that helped hone my analytical and research skills as well as cement relationships with the center’s staff that continue to this day,” he said. “Although my fellowship ended several years ago, I am honored to contribute to the KI’s work through mentoring opportunities of new workers’ rights advocates who will continue the Initiative’s important work in the field.”

Read more about Edgar’s work during his time at the Kalmanovitz Initiative.